Fill Up the Truck Fridays
Why do we do this?
- Ohio was hit hard by the economic downturn and despite a rebounding economy we are continuing to still see the effects.
- The use of food pantries has risen steeply in Central Ohio. Holy Family alone is seeing almost double their usual numbers.
- As Christians we must respond to the need of the hungry; we are our brothers’ keepers.
Skills Needed to be a Trucker
- An outgoing, energetic personality
- Good time management skills- this can be a lot of work!
- Good leadership skills
- Be reliable and well organized. Real people are counting on us!
- Be dedicated to the need of the hungry
- Form a diverse team which is competitive and driven to succeed.
- Promote, advertise through posters, announcements, contacts at work sites, parishes, etc.
- Scour the neighborhoods and your friends and relatives for food items.
- All team members must complete an application which is available outside the theology office. You can turn it into Mrs. Bowman.
- Your application does not mean you will be automatically chosen. We are looking for diversity- of parishes, grade schools, sports teams, clubs, neighborhoods, etc.
Benefits of Participation- Comments from Past Peers
- “I learned how much effort and energy it takes to really get someone to believe in a group cause.”
- “I learned how to rally my community to accomplish a common goal.”
- “Everything takes teamwork. You need the effort and support of an entire team to succeed.”
- “I learned how to approach people I didn’t know. I learned how to manage my time and work hard in a competitive situation.”
- “By doing this I gained the organizational skills and confidence to do this again- in college, in a sorority, in my parish, etc.”
- I found out that time management is important in trying to promote something and that reaching your goals is easy if you put in the time and effort.”
- “Poverty is something that is close to us, not distant.”
- “I learned that the need is great in Columbus and that the work you do is worth it. Helping the less fortunate is so gratifying.”
- “I learned how to get people together (organize them) for a good cause.”
- “I learned hunger is a serious issue in our society and it is up to the more fortunate to change this problem.”